A virtual tour for would-be students
GoMohawk! app offers potential students a sneak peek of Mohawk’s Fennell campus
Mohawk has launched a one-of-a-kind app for anyone looking to find out more about what life is like at the college.
The GoMohawk! app gives prospective Mohawk students the chance to experience the college’s Fennell campus in a fully immersive, 3D environment. Users can wander the hallways, checking out labs and common areas while interacting with students and staff to learn about services and amenities on campus. There’s also a mission, find Mo the Hawk, the college’s mascot who has gone missing somewhere in the college.
“GoMohawk! is the first app of its kind for a college,” says Shaun Iles, Professor of Sociology and Sustainability and the faculty lead on the design of app. “It’s the only fully immersive, 3D gamified tour of a college currently available. It was created entirely by Mohawk students and graduates who currently work in the MEDIC lab at Mohawk College’s Fennell Campus.”
The app was created to give people who are thinking about attending Mohawk the opportunity to explore the campus in detail and learn more about the services available to them without setting foot in the college, says Iles.
GoMohawk! was originally created as a tool for international students who were considering Mohawk. The international version of the app was launched earlier this year and included information specific to students coming from outside Canada.
Both versions of the app are available for free download on iTunes and Google Play. The app will officially launch at the college’s Fall Open House this Saturday, Nov. 5 at the Fennell campus.
- 27 students and faculty worked on the design of the GoMohawk app.
- The project began in April 2015 with the development of the pilot version for International students and was completed in October 2016.
- GoMohawk was launched as an initiative in partnership the Mohawk College Student Association
- Some of the programs involved in the app’s design included students enrolled in the Graphic Design, Software Engineering and Radio Broadcasting programs.
- More than 10,000 hours of design and development work went into creating the app.
- The app is fully accessible and includes accessibility features such as closed captioning.
- Users can navigate their way through classrooms, labs and common areas including student services and the library.
Download GoMohawk! on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/gomohawk!/id1149965453?mt=8
Download GoMohawk! On Googe Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.mohawkcollege.gomohawk.p2&hl=en
Mohawk College educates and serves 30,000 full-time, part-time, apprenticeship and international students at three campuses and two City School locations at the Eva Rothwell Resource Centre and the Central Public Library in Hamilton, Ontario. Mohawk has ranked first among all Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area colleges in student satisfaction for seven consecutive years and first in graduate satisfaction for the past five years. Mohawk ranks 15th among all colleges in Canada for applied research activity and has been named among Canada’s greenest employers and the region’s top employers for the past three years.