Expect delays going to and from the Fennell Campus this September
The closure of the Queen Street Hill (Beckett Drive) has been extended to October due to ongoing construction. With the start of classes at the college and local schools, traffic volumes are expected to increase dramatically with delays of 10-20 minutes expected on downhill traffic during peak periods.
The City of Hamilton and Smart Commute Hamilton have launched www.queenstreethillclosed.ca,a site where commuters can request customized travel plans in order to avoid congested routes and receive updates on the status of the project.
The closure has led to a number of detours around campus:
HSR Transit Users
- Route 34- Upper Paradise/Queen, will detour to use the James Street Hill while the Queen Hill is closed. Route 34 will serve the stops at West 5th and Fennell for the duration of the detour.
- During periods of high congestion on the James Hill, southbound bus routes 20, 21, 33 and 35 may detour using the Jolley Cut to avoid delays. All local stops will be served.
- The Dundurn stairs will remain open for the majority of the project. Closures will be posted in advance.
- The Bruce Trail access to the Lower City is rerouted to the James stairs.
- To avoid delays, the City of Hamilton advises motorists to use the Claremont Access or the Jolley Cut to access the College, via Fennell Avenue.