Mohawk Recognized as One of North America's Most Sustainable Colleges
HAMILTON, ON (Sept. 18, 2018) -- Mohawk College is among North America’s top performing post-secondary institutions for environmental sustainability.
Mohawk ranks third among associate colleges in the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education’s 2018 Sustainable Campus Index. Mohawk also earned a silver rating based on the association’s Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System.
The annual index recognizes top-performing colleges and universities by institution type and in 17 sustainability impact areas, including curriculum and research, campus and public engagement, purchasing, transportation, energy, buildings and waste.
The top 10 performing associate colleges in the 2018 Sustainable Campus Index were:
- Nova Scotia Community College (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia)
- Portland Community College (Portland, Oregon)
- Mohawk College (Hamilton, Ontario)
- Fleming College (Peterborough, Ontario)
- Delta College (University Center, Michigan)
- Central Carolina Community College (Sanford, North Carolina)
- Raritan Valley Community College (North Branch, New Jersey)
- College of Lake Country (Grayslake, Illinois)
- Western Technical College (La Crosse, Wisconsin)
- Niagara College (Welland, Ontario)
The 2018 Sustainable Campus Index is available online at www.aashe.org/news/aashe-releases-the-2018-sustainable-campus-index.
“Mohawk College is committed to both strengthening our leadership in environmental sustainability and preparing our students and graduates to take leadership roles in solving sustainability challenges at work and in the community.”
- Mohawk is home to the award-winning Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation, Canada’s largest and the Hamilton region’s first zero carbon institutional building.
- The Centre for Climate Change Management at Mohawk College is a collaboration with the cities of Hamilton and Burlington and Sustainable Hamilton Burlington to drive measurable and coordinated regional action on climate change among business, industry, government and community partners.
- Mohawk was the first college in Ontario to adopt an environmental management plan with aggressive carbon reduction targets.
- Mohawk has been named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the past five years in a row.
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) is the leading association for the advancement of sustainability in higher education. Established in 2005, AASHE has more than 900 member colleges and universities across Canada, the United States and 20 countries.
Mohawk College educates and serves 30,000 full-time, part-time and apprentice students at three campuses in Hamilton, Ontario. Mohawk is among the leading colleges in Canada for applied research and is ranked number one for student and graduate satisfaction among colleges in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.
For more information, contact:
Director of Communications
Mohawk College educates and serves more than 31,700 full-time, part-time and apprenticeship students at three campuses in Hamilton, Ontario. Mohawk has been named one of Canada’s greenest employers for five years in a row and is home to the country’s largest net zero energy institutional building. Mohawk is also among the leading colleges in Canada for applied research, with a focus on sustainable energy generation and distribution, additive manufacturing and mobile and electronic health solutions.