MEDIA RELEASE: Ontario Minister and Hamilton Mayor among nine graduates to receive Mohawk College Alumni of Distinction awards
MOHAWK'S NEWEST ALUMNI OF DISTINCTION: (back row left to right): Derek Doyle, Vanh Kalong, Rocco Passero, Mayor Fred Eisenberger, Hon. Ted McMeekin MPP, Megan MacLeod, Brian Jonker
(front row left to right) Daniel Popowich and Barbara Shea
HAMILTON (Oct. 22, 2015) – The Hon. Ted McMeekin, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, and Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger are among the nine graduates receiving Alumni of Distinction Awards from Mohawk College next Tuesday.
The 18th annual Mohawk Alumni of Distinction Awards Dinner take place Oct. 27 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Michelangelo Event and Conference Centre (1555 Upper Ottawa St.). Alumni of Distinction recipient and award-winning sports broadcast Jim Tatti is serving as master of ceremonies.
Receiving Alumni of Distinction Awards are:
- Derek Doyle, co-founder of Ambitious Realty Advisors and Mezcal Tacos & Tequila (Small Business Entrepreneurship, 2007)
- His Worship Mayor Fred Eisenberger, (Community Planning and Development, 1983)
- Brian Jonker, Parts and Facility Manager for Tiger Cat Industries Inc. and coach of the Mohawk Mountaineer men’s varsity basketball team (Radio Broadcasting, 1993)
- Vanh Kalong, Owner of the My Thai Group (Information Systems Technician, 1991)
- Megan MacLeod, Development intern at McMaster University and organizer of Warm Up For Winter, Feet First for Haiti and Glitz, Glamour and Graduation (Fundraising Development Associate Certificate, Leadership and Management in the Not-for-Profit Sector, Volunteer Management, Event Management, 2013-14)
- The Hon. Ted McMeekin, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing and MPP for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale (Social Studies, 1970)
- Rocco Passero, Assistant Deputy Minister and Executive Lead with Infrastructure Technology Services, Treasury Board Secretariat, Government of Ontario (Engineering Technology, 1980)
- Daniel Popowich, Professor and recipient of a 2014 Mohawk College Award of Excellence (General Arts and Science, 1992)
- Barbara Shea, Network Coordinator of Public Health Ontario’s Central East Infection Control Network (Medical Laboratory Technology, 1980)
“We’re proud to recognize nine outstanding alumni who are leaders, community builders and role models for our students. Our Alumni of Distinction recipients show how much you can achieve and contribute with a Mohawk College education.” – Mohawk President Ron McKerlie
- Mohawk’s Alumni of Distinction Awards were launched in 1996.
- 106 graduates have received Alumni of Distinction Awards.
- More than 105,000 students have graduated from Mohawk.
- Entrance scholarships are established in the name of each Alumni of Distinction recipient.
- More than $53,000 in Alumni of Distinction entrance scholarships have been awarded to students.
- A committee of past award recipients and college staff review nominations and select recipients based on career achievements and community contributions.
Mohawk College educates and serves more than 30,000 full-time, part-time and apprenticeship students at three campuses in Hamilton, Ontario. For the fifth consecutive year, Mohawk has been rated the number one college in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area for overall student satisfaction.
For more information, contact:
Jay Robb, Director of Communications