Mohawk College receives Employer of the Year award from Smart Commute Hamilton
Smart Commute Hamilton recognized Mohawk College's efforts to promote sustainable commuting by making the College the 2011 Employer of the Year for Hamilton. Mohawk received the recognition at Smart Commute's annual awards reception held in Toronto last week.
The Employer of Year Award recognizes organizations for outstanding achievement in the areas of commitment, leadership, innovation and results in the Smart Commute program.
Among its many accomplishments, Mohawk College has:
- established the fastest-growing Carpool program in Hamilton, doubling the amount of registered carpoolers at the college;
- constructed a new secure bike parking facility for more than 40 bikes;
- established 12 new carpool parking spots;
- organized an annual Residence Active Living Fair with Smart Commute as a central theme; and
- supported a student-led initiative to launch a discounted transit pass program, which is now available to all students at the college for unlimited use of the HSR.
Mohawk has some of the highest participation rates in Hamilton and is a strong supporter of green commute initiatives such as Clean Air Commute, Bike to Work Day and Smart Commute Week.
Commenting on the award, Mohawk's sustainability initiatives coordinator Alan Griffiths says, “We’re absolutely thrilled and honoured to have been chosen for this award. As an innovative and community oriented College, it's important for us to be a leader in programs like this, and to set an example for others to follow. At Mohawk we work hard to walk-the-talk, and we’re truly thankful for the recognition.”
Mohawk College is committed to providing sustainable transportation solutions for students and employees, says Alan. The College works closely with Smart Commute Hamilton to promote environmental awareness and to reduce its carbon footprint.
Run by the City of Hamilton's Public Works department, Smart Commute Hamilton is part of Smart Commute, a program funded and supported by Metrolinx and the municipalities of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. More than 177 employers with a combined total of 430,000 employees participate in the Smart Commute program. Smart Commute Hamilton works with organizations in the City to promote more sustainable modes of commuting and help organizations manage their travel demand effectively.