Mohawk Students' Athletics Committee celebrates outstanding varsity athletes
Curler Karen Creighton and rugby player Chris VanSickle were named the 2010-2011 Outstanding Athletes at Mohawk College's 44th annual Athletics Awards Banquet.
Chris won the 'Wes Hicks' Outstanding Male Athlete honour after a season which saw him named Ontario Colleges Athletic Association Player of the Year and OCAA All-Star. He was the league's top scorer and led the Mountaineers to an OCAA silver medal.
Karen skipped the Mohawk women's rink to the silver medal at the OCAA Curling Championships. A virtual walk-on, as she was not recruited for curling, Karenshowed she had the mental toughness and could make the shots required to medal in her sport.
The Female Freshman Athlete award was captured by Rachelle Abella of the women's basketball team, who was named to the OCAA All-Rookie Team. The men's honour went to Justin Scapinello of the bronze medal winning volleyball team. Scapinello was the OCAA Rookie of the Year and was the West Region scoring champion.
Women's soccer and volleyball player Ashley Hagen was selected the All Round Female Athlete. Hagen had seven goals in eight games for the soccer squad.
Volleyball star Jennifer Knowles won the prestigious Dr. Sam Mitminger award for academic and athletic excellence. Knowles, a CCAA and OCAA All-Academic, scored 276 offensive points and added 164 digs leading the Mountaineers to the bronze medal match at the OCAA Championship.
Varsity Coaches Awards
- Coaches Award – Chris Hong
- Most Improved Player – Alicia Jenkins
- Most Valuable Player – Mohammed Nazimuddin
- Coaches Award – Tanner Lane
- Rookie of the Year - Taylor Dowhaniuk
- Most Valuable Player – Aminu Bello
- Coaches Award – Joanna Brown
- Rookie of the Year – Rachelle Abella
- Most Valuable Player – Morgan Taylor
- Most Improved Runner – Sandi Bryce
- Most Valuable Player – Emily Hicks
- Most Valuable Player – Jonathan Redfearn
- Coaches Award – James Maslen
- Coaches Award – Jennifer Montgomery
- Most Valuable Player – Karen Creighton
- Coaches Award – JD Shaw
- Most Valuable Player – Kyle Harber
- Most Improved Player – John Packer
- Rookie of the Year – Phil Jackson
- Most Valuable Player – Chris VanSickle
- Tom Bell Coaches Award – Jordan Dykstra
- Tom Bell Coaches Award – Matthew Kernick
- Rookie of the Year – Mark Vanduyvenvoorde
- Coaches Award – Lana Martin
- Rookie of the Year – Ashley Hagen
- Most Valuable Player – Carlee Myles
- Coaches Award – Mo Sulaiman
- Coaches Award – Can Henschel
- Most Valuable Player – Ryan dela Rosa
- Coaches Award – Jenna Gignac
- Rookie of the Year – Kristie Crnic
- Most Valuable Player – Kellie Crnic
Other award winners:
Alicia Jenkins - Dept. of Athletics and Recreation Award
Amanda DeHaan (Volleyball) - Hap Holman Business Award
Wade Marquardt - Dr. Keith McIntyre Athletic Leadership Award
Adam Njauw - Barb Moore Spirit of Athletics Award