Mountaineer varsity highlights - January 20, 2023
Mohawk Mountaineers men’s basketball continues to make a statement across the OCAA. This past week they secured two victories to begin the second half of their 2022-23 schedule, continue to be ranked No. 5 in the CCAA and currently hold the best record in the OCAA at 10-1.
Victories for the Mountaineers men’s basketball team included a 97-85 win over the Niagara Knights and then rolling past the defending OCAA champion Humber Hawks, 96-72.
Mohawk men’s volleyball snapped a two-game losing streak this past Saturday, defeating the St. Clair Saints 3-1 in Windsor.
Mountaineer women’s basketball and volleyball teams are looking to turn things around after a tough week. The women's basketball team lost both their games and the volleyball team was unable to upset the Saints.
Mountaineers Athletes of the Week
(in partnership with the Mohawk Students’ Association)
Irene Jaramillo (women’s volleyball)
In a two-match week for Mountaineers women's volleyball, Jaramillo (Manizales, CO) was a bright spot for the team. The middle combined for 12 kills with a 37.9 kill percentage. In addition she had five digs and one block.
Anthony Beijes (men’s volleyball)
Beijes (Hamilton, ON) helped Mountaineers men's volleyball snap a two-game losing streak over the weekend. In the two matches, Beijes had a combined 22 kills and three service aces.
Men’s Basketball (10-1)
Jan 14: Won 97-85 over the Niagara Knights
Nov. 18: Defeated the Humber Hawks 96-72
Women’s Basketball (2-8)
Jan. 14: Lost 60-43 to the Niagara Knights
Jan. 18: Lost 91-59 to the Humber Hawks
Women’s Volleyball (5-6)
Jan. 14: Lost 3-0 (17-25, 14-25, 17-25) to the St. Clair Saints
Men’s Volleyball (6-5)
Jan. 14: Won 3-1 (25-21, 25-16, 20-25, 15-25) against the St. Clair Saints
Next week’s schedule
Friday, January 20:
- Men’s and mixed doubles curling will be competing at the Niagara Bonspiel.
- Women’s and men’s volleyball are back in the DBARC for the first time in 2023 as they host the Boreal Vipers. Women’s game begins at 6 p.m. and men play at 8 p.m.
Saturday, January 21:
- Volleyball action continues in the DBARC as the visiting Cambrian Golden Shield come to town. The women’s game starts at 1 p.m. and men follow immediately after at 3 p.m.
Thursday, January 26:
- Basketball heads to Kitchener, ON to play the Conestoga Condors with the women’s game at 6 p.m. and men to play at 8 p.m.
- Volleyball will also be on the road to play the Humber Hawks. Women play at 6 p.m. and men at 8 p.m.
For all your Mohawk Mountaineers updates make sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.