Mountaineers varsity highlights – January 18, 2024
This past weekend at the first annual Mohawk Curling Invitational Bonspiel, the Mountaineers curling teams did what they are known to do: win.
A total of nine matches were played between Mohawk’s men’s, women’s and mixed doubles teams and they won a combined six of them.
The men’s team, which has won back-to-back OCAA championships, played to an undefeated bonspiel going 3-0. Mohawk’s mixed doubles team placed second in their division with a 2-1 record and the women only won one of three, but their lone victory was an impressive 10-7 win.
On the volleyball side, both the Mountaineers women’s and men’s teams played to an even 1-1 record in Sudbury over the weekend. Both came out victorious versus the Boreal Vipers but lost tough matches to the Cambrian Golden Shield.
Both Mohawk basketball teams had the week off, but remain nationally ranked in the CCAA. The women are No. 10 and the men moved up one spot to No. 15.
Athletes of the Week
Ava Andrews (Port Colborne, ON)
Andrews competed in the mixed doubles division at the Mohawk Curling Invitational Bonspiel this past weekend. In her first curling action with the Mountaineers, alongside Elias Whittington (Campbellville, ON), the duo played to a 2-1 record. Their wins came versus the Sault Cougars and the Humber Hawks, 6-3 and 5-2.
Marko Dosen (Hamilton, ON)
Dosen had a career game off the bench for the men's basketball team in Mohawk's 13-point win versus the Sheridan Bruins. The second-year forward set a career-high mark in both points and rebounds, with a 19 and 14 game, while adding a block. Of his 14 rebounds, five were on the offensive end.
Upcoming Game Schedule
- Jan. 19 – Mohawk gets set to play three games in six days beginning with a road trip to Southwestern Ontario. First, they’ll play the Lambton Lions with the women’s game tipping off at 6 p.m. and the men following at 8 p.m.
- Jan. 20 – The basketball teams will then immediately head to Windsor to play the St. Clair Saints. Game times are 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Jan. 24 – Basketball action returns to the DBARC when the Mountaineers host the Niagara Knights. Game times are set for 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Jan. 19 – Volleyball returns to the DBARC for the first time in 2024. The Mountaineers host the St. Clair Saints with action beginning at 6 p.m. with the women’s game and the men following at 8 p.m.
- Jan 24 – Mohawk will then hit the road to play the Conestoga Condors. Action once again begins at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
All Mountaineers home games are free to attend.
Games are also streamed online, and can be watched here.