Mountaineers varsity highlights – October 20, 2023
OCAA playoffs are underway for outdoor sports and the Mohawk Mountaineers women’s soccer and softball teams have both moved through first-round action.
Women’s soccer completed an epic comeback this past week in their first-round matchup, defeating the Fanshawe Falcons 3-2. Mohawk found themselves down 2-0 early but were able to score before halftime. The Mountaineers then tied it up early in the second half and scored the game-winner in the 89th minute.
Mohawk advances to the OCAA quarter-finals for the second consecutive year and will play the Durham Lords on Oct. 21.
For softball, they were convincing in their first playoff game, winning 9-2 over the Falcons. They will now play Oct. 20 versus the Lords. Win or lose the Mountaineers will play a second game later the same day.
The OCAA also announced their season-end award winners this past week and softball’s Danika Millen was named a Second-Team All-Star for her play throughout the year.
For men’s soccer, the season came to an end following a 4-0 playoff loss to the defending champions, the Humber Hawks.
Mohawk men’s cross country continues to be ranked first in the CCAA national rankings after another first-place team finish at the Centennial Open. It is the third first-place finish for the Mountaineers in as many races.
The women’s team is ranked sixth in the CCAA after a second-place finish at the Centennial Open. The Mohawk women now have a first-place finish and two second-place finishes this season.
Athletes of the Week
Brooklyn Skoog (Brantford, ON)
Brooklyn Skoog has consistently been a top-21 runner for Mountaineers cross country through three races this season. A member of the program last year, Skoog has been one of the most improved runners. She showed that improvement this past week at the Centennial Invitational, placing 21st and running a pace that was two minutes faster than her pace a year ago on the same course.
Yassin Saleh (Hamilton, ON)
In men's cross country, Yassin Saleh has been reliable as well for Mohawk. Through the three invitationals, he has not finished outside the top 15, and this past weekend he placed 14th overall to help the Mountaineers to another first-place finish as a team.
Upcoming Game Schedule
- Oct. 21 – The Mountaineers will play the Durham Lords in an OCAA quarter-final matchup in Oshawa with kick-off at 3 p.m. The winner will advance to the semi-finals hosted next weekend.
- Oct. 20 – Mohawk will play the Durham Lords at 11 a.m. as softball playoffs continue this weekend. Regardless of a win or loss versus the Lords, the Mountaineers will play a second game later in the day.
- Oct. 20 – Mountaineers volleyball will begin their season at home hosting the Cambrian Golden Shield. The women play at 6 p.m. and the men at 8 p.m. inside the DBARC.
- Oct. 21 – Weekend action continues for the volleyball teams as they host the Boreal Vipers. Games begin at 1 p.m. with the women opening play and the men following at 3 p.m.
- The basketball season opener will be versus the Niagara Knights in Welland. Mohawk women tip-off at 6 p.m. and the men will follow at 8 p.m.
All Mountaineers home games are free to attend.
Games are also streamed online, and can be watched here.