New Health Centre Officially Opens
Serving Mohawk Students, Employees and Community
Hamilton, ON (December 6, 2016) – Mohawk College and Sports Medicine Experts officially opened the Health Centre located at Mohawk College’s Fennell Campus today.
Live Life Well is the mantra of the Health Centre at Mohawk bringing a pioneering approach for an external provider offering all the services in a public institution of full health care services for Mohawk students, employees and the greater Hamilton community.
The Health Centre offers a multi-disciplinary team of healthcare professionals for a thorough, holistic and individualized experience. Onsite practitioners can help with medical, therapeutic, dental and wellness services. The Centre is open year-round, Monday to Friday, offering same day, early and late appointment options and multiple ways to book an appointment, through call, text or email. Offering direct billing to insurance company and free consultation to develop a tailored comprehensive treatment plan.
“Collaboration and partnerships are a strategic priority for our college. Our partnership with Sports Medicine Experts meets the health and wellness needs of our students, faculty and staff. The Health Centre also gives Mohawk yet another way to open our doors and welcome the community onto our campus.” -- Ron McKerlie, President of Mohawk College.
“We are excited to continue and expand our relationship with Mohawk and provide the community, students and staff with a multi-disciplinary patient-centered model. Our experienced practitioners bring fusion of western and complementary medicine to ensure thorough patient care. We offer the whole package from family medicine and sports medicine to therapy, wellness and dental services.” Jennifer Abbiss-Somerville, Owner & Director of The Health Centre & Sports Medicine Experts.
- More than 14,000 students and employees are on site daily at Mohawk’s Fennell Campus
- Health Centre is located at Mohawk College, Fennell Campus, 135 Fennell Ave & West 5th, Hamilton, ON, L8N 3T2. Room C109. Visitor parking available – on-campus parking rates are applicable.
- Health Centre will be staffed with doctors, registered nurses and nurse educators for health education.
- Medical Services: General practice in family medicine; naturopathic medicine; pre-placement medical clearance; sports, orthopaedic, dental care; concussion baseline testing, assessment and treatment; preseason medicals; immunizations and prescription injections.
- Therapy Services: Physiotherapy; athletic therapy; registered massage therapy; osteopathy; acupuncture; custom and off-the-shelf bracing and orthotics.
- Health Education: General and mental health supports; sports medicine, first aid and taping courses; sexual health and family planning.
- Wellness: Yoga therapy; Pilates; meditation classes; strength and conditioning.
- The centre will recognize most benefit plans including SunLife, Guardme & I Have a Plan benefit programs.
- Standard Ontario health fees will apply for services over and above plan coverage.
For more information:
Mohawk College Director of Communications
905-575-1212 ext. 3965
Owner & Director of The Health Centre & Sports Medicine Experts