Notice of Emergency Lockdown Drills – Fennell, STARRT and Brantford Campuses
What: Emergency Lockdown Drills
Where: Fennell, Brantford (Elgin) and STARRT campuses
When: Week of March 5 – March 9, 2012
Mohawk College is committed to making our campuses safe for students, staff and visitors. As part of this commitment, the college will be holding a series of Emergency Lockdown Drills at the Fennell, Brantford and STARRT campuses between Monday, March 5, and Friday, March 9, 2012.
The Emergency Lockdown Drills are needed to test the college’s revised emergency response plan and lockdown procedures, particularly at the Fennell Campus where recent renovations have significantly changed the interior layout of the campus buildings. The drills will help identify areas where plan and procedures can be approved.
During the drills, please follow the actions listed on both the Quick Reference Cardhttp://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/Security+and+Parking/Emergency+Evacuation+Procedures.pdf. This information is also available in the college’s Emergency Lockdown Procedure:http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/Policies/ERP809.pdf.
It is a good idea to download and carry the Quick Reference Card with you so you are prepared for the drill. Additional copies of the card will be made available at the Library and Student Services locations at each campus.
The following is a description of how the drills will be carried out at each campus:
- For each campus the drills will take place on a different date throughout the week.
- The exact dates will not be announced ahead of time. This is being done to make the drill as authentic as possible and improve the quality of data collected by the observers.
- There will be a 5-minute warning that is broadcast on the campus PA system prior to the start of the drill to avoid causing alarm. This message will be repeated several times.
- The warning will be followed by a recorded message indicating that an emergency lockdown is in place and that is only a drill.
- Upon hearing the announcement students and staff are asked to follow the procedures listed on the Quick Reference Card.
- Once the drill is complete, the “All Clear” will be given over the campus PA system, and you may return to your normal activities.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. The college realizes that drills of this nature can be an unwanted distraction, but they are needed to maintain the highest level of safety and security for our students, staff and visitors.
If you are a student or staff member at Mohawk’s IAHS Campus at McMaster or the Mohawk Laurier (Odeon) Campus in Brantford, please note that the emergency response procedures may be different at these locations. Please refer to the links below for more information:
McMaster University: http://security.mcmaster.ca/campus_emergencies.html
Wilfrid Laurier University: http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=1150&p=13253