Single largest donation ever made to Mohawk
Mohawk College receives record donation from the Joyce Family Foundation
The Joyce Family Foundation is donating $5 million towards construction of the Centre for Partnership & Innovation at Mohawk’s Fennell campus.
The single largest donation ever made to Mohawk will support the largest renewal of labs and classrooms in the college’s 50-year history. The cornerstone of the renewal project is the 90,000-square-foot centre that will feature state-of-the-art labs where students and faculty work alongside industry partners on applied research projects.
In recognition of the record-setting donation, the newest addition to the college will be named The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation. Mohawk President Ron McKerlie unveiled the name at a ceremony this morning attended by Joyce Family Foundation trustees Grant and Steven Joyce.
The Joyce Family Foundation first made history at Mohawk in 2013 with the single largest donation to the college in support of student bursaries. The $1.5 million donation established full-tuition Ron Joyce Access Bursaries for up to 20 students a year from priority neighbourhoods in Hamilton.
“The Joyce Family Foundation is a great supporter of the education and training at Mohawk College. We are proud to be part of the student learning and creativity that will emerge from the new Partnership & Innovation Centre and influence the region."
“The Joyce Family Foundation is once again making history at Mohawk with the single largest donation to our college. The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation will be a game-changer for our students, our industry partners and the regional economy. Mohawk will be educating more technology students than ever before and putting them to work with industry partners on job-creating and prosperity-building applied research projects.”
- Mohawk will invest $54.25 million over the next two years to build and renovate 120,000 square feet of technology labs and classrooms at the Fennell campus.
- The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation will be the region’s first net-zero energy institutional building. The Canada Green Building Council has selected The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation as a national pilot project to demonstrate its new net-zero carbon standard and validation process.
- Construction on The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation will be substantially complete by Spring 2018, with the doors opening to students and industry partners for the Fall 2018 term.
- Once the renewal project is complete, enrolment in Mohawk’s technology programs will grow from 3,500 to 4,500 full-time students and applied research activity will increase by 50 per cent.
- The Government of Canada’s $20 million investment in The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation is the largest federal infrastructure grant in Mohawk’s history.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Maureen O’Neill, Foundation Administrator, The Joyce Family Foundation, 905.336.6993, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jay Robb, Director of Communications for Mohawk College, 905.979.8893, email@example.com
Mohawk College educates and serves 30,000 full-time, part-time, apprenticeship and international students at three campuses and two City School locations at the Eva Rothwell Resource Centre and the Central Public Library in Hamilton, Ontario. Mohawk has ranked first among all Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area colleges in student satisfaction for seven consecutive years and first in graduate satisfaction for the past five years. Mohawk ranks 15th among all colleges in Canada for applied research activity and has been named among Canada’s greenest employers and the region’s top employers for the past three years.