Tips on crossing a picket line
Please consider the following tips when crossing the picket line:
WHERE CAN PICKETING OCCUR?
- Public places – ie sidewalks or roads adjacent to the employer’s premises.
- Public thoroughfares CANNOT be blocked.
- Picketing on private property is not allowed.
Here are some tips for crossing a picket line:
- Walk – or drive carefully through the picket line. Respect the picketer’s right to slow down traffic, both walking and driving as they cross the picket line.
- Do not jeopardize your own personal safety to cross the picket line.
- Individuals are responsible for their own personal safety.
- Be calm and cautious.
- Do not take comments personally.
- Avoid confrontation or provocation.
- Do not try to bully your way through the line.
- Don’t react or respond to rhetoric.
- Recognize stress levels are high.
- Avoid a win/lose attitude.
If there are incidents on the picket line, individuals should call the Human Resources Hotline 905-575-2354 for assistance.